Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Seattle Delivered; What's Next?

by Melissa Avery, CNM, PhD, FACNM, FAAN
President of the American College of Nurse-Midwives

The 54th Annual Meeting of the American College of Nurse-Midwives was indeed an exciting gathering that resulted in an outpouring of enthusiasm from midwives, other women’s health experts, and our corporate partners alike. Two particular highlights for me were the purple bus advertisements for midwifery and the winning student video.

The ACNM Washington State Chapter was a fabulous local host group! To promote midwifery, the chapter worked with Titan Outdoors to design and purchase several large ad wraps, which were displayed on Seattle city buses. The women and babies featured on the ads are actual midwife clients.














The Why I Am Becoming a Midwife video contest had several excellent entries; the winning entry from the Columbia University students was truly inspirational.



Building on the momentum from the Seattle meeting, I’m already looking forward to the 55th Annual Meeting, which will take place in Washington, DC in June 2010. What an exciting time it will be to meet in the nation’s capitol. I encourage you to join me. As stated on the buttons distributed at the ACNM business meetings in Seattle, “I am a midwife—the future is in my hands.”



No comments: