Friday, October 15, 2010

How to Present Evidence-based Midwifery Care Like a Pro

by Melissa Garvey, ACNM Writer and Editor

This week we launched an exciting project that has been in development for more than a year. Evidence-Based Practice: Pearls of Midwifery is a professionally developed presentation featuring nearly 100 fully referenced slides to assist midwives and their advocates (expectant moms, active dads, other health care providers, everyone!) in explaining the science and art of the midwifery maternity care model. Designed to showcase the evidence-based foundation of midwifery practice, Pearls of Midwifery emphasizes the proven benefits of physiologic labor and childbirth for mothers and their newborns.

Pearls of Midwifery is a long-overdue resource. In the words of ACNM President Holly Powell Kennedy, CNM, PhD, FACNM, FAAN, “Despite the recent plethora of information on evidence-based maternity care practices, there continues to be an underuse of many beneficial interventions while some harmful practices persist. We must continue sharing the evidence with our clients and other health care providers to ensure that all women receive the safest and most effective maternity care.”

Evidence-Based Practice: Pearls of Midwifery includes suggested speaking notes for each slide and a checklist that can be printed and shared.

Pearls of Midwifery is free to ACNM members and available for nonmembers to purchase in the ACNM Live Learning Center for just $69. Where do you plan to use this new resource?

2 comments:

Amy Romano said...

I thought this was a fantastic presentation and I am excited to see how midwives take it and run with it. I can see why it got such a positive reaction in its first iteration.

One grievance... I found it really difficult to find in the member site. When I logged in with my member ID and password, it told me I had access to certain resources, but the Pearls presentation wasn't on that list. I had to click around to find it, then all I could find were "handouts". I clicked around some more only to realize that the "handouts" were the presentation itself. All in all it took me about 15 minutes to track it down and download it. I worry that busy midwives won't bother.

Melissa Garvey said...

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Amy. I'll pass this on to the appropriate people and get the situation improved.