Thursday, October 8, 2009

Birth in 50 Words or Less

Can you tell your birth story in 50 words or less? Yesterday, the women of www.wheresmymidwife.org started the challenge in honor of National Midwifery Week. Here is a sampling of the stories that rolled in:
  • It was a wonderful pregnancy and a wonderful birth. I met my midwife at the hospital at about 5 p.m. She was patient and calm. She was by my side throughout my labor. I started pushing at about 10 p.m. At 1:13 a.m., my beautiful boy joined my whole family in that room. –Maria

  • Twenty-four hours of labor and a beautiful birth, a perfect outcome. My husband, our mothers, my son, our birth helpers and my midwife stayed by my side, coaxing my little girl into the world at her pace with only whispers and gentle words and loving touch. My midwife, my midwife! –Ania

  • Birth Haiku for Baby 2: Waiting and screaming. Baghdad on fire, and me too. War and life begin. –Candice

  • First VBAC... I didn't believe I'd really push him out until his head was halfway out. I knew everyone expected a repeat section. But out he came and was placed on my chest. I grabbed one arm and one leg and cried... so grateful for the experience and my baby! –Christine

  • First birth...long labor. I kept thinking this isn't how the books say it is supposed to be. Second birth....long labor. Two healthy babies, the goal. Yeah! –Caroline
What’s your story?

No comments: